Thursday 29 May 2008

Get Everything in Writing

So I had my agreement of how I was to get paid. This agreement had come about because of previous late payments that the ICFBA owed me. At one point they owed me £16,000 but that amount was coming down as they honoured their agreement to pay me back. The one problem with the agreement was that they expected me to keep on working for them while they paid it back, or at least that's what they said. Because after cancelling my contract in December they then said that they only agreed to pay me if i carried on doing work for them and as they had cancelled my contract the other agreement was now void.

And here is the problem, the agreement I made was verbal with only a few notes to back it up. Indeed quite a few verbal alterations had been made to my contract over the previous two years, but why worry. After all I was dealing with a company that wanted to create a community of trusted advisors; surely they wouldn't try to screw me over, would they?

It seems so. After several discussions and letters I made them an offer to settle for £5,000. Imagine my surprise then when the very next day they produced an invoice for money that they said I owed them and tried to take that amount off the £5000 and then offer to split the difference - honestly, you couldn't make it up. Needless to say I declned their offer and threatened to take them to court, which I did.

It was then that I entered the world of County Court Judgements and Civil Procedure Rules.

I had never done this before and so I turned to the internet to figure out where to start. And that is what I will tell you about next.